Dacha Benois

in Peterhof

web_Benois_front.jpg

Sketch of the facade of M.N. Benoit.  

Author L.N. Benoit.

web_Benois_1892.jpg

1892

web_Benois_2dachi_old_foto.jpg

Summer cottages L.N. Benois and A.E. Meissner.

web_Benois_old_foto.jpg

Dacha M.N. Benoit.

web_Benois_front_foto.jpg

  Dacha of Mikhail Nikolaevich Benois.

   An architectural monument of the late 19th century.

   Architect Leonty Nikolaevich Benois, 1892.

 

   Until 1917, this building was part of the dacha settlement of the Bobylskaya village, where representatives of the artistic and business intelligentsia of St. Petersburg built dachas for themselves. The place was landscaped and was a kind of cultural center of summer country life.  


   In 1891, according to the project of L. N. Benois, two dachas in the “English taste” were built here, standing “like two sisters” a few meters from the coastline, for the families of Leonty Nikolayevich himself and his son-in-law, Alexander Evaldovich Meisner.


   A year later, he also built the third, preserved today, dacha of Mikhail Nikolaevich Benois, brother of Leonty Nikolaevich, a former naval officer.


   The Benois family is the largest artistic dynasty in St. Petersburg. Its most prominent representatives are the chief architect of Peterhof and the Imperial theaters of the second half of the 19th century, professor of architecture Nikolai Leontyevich Benois, the author of such notable buildings in Peterhof as the Main Imperial stables, the maid of honor and Cavalier buildings, the Post Office, the Palace Hospital and the New Peterhof Station. His sons: the famous watercolorist, academician of architecture, Albert Nikolaevich Benois; architect, urban planner, academician and professor of architecture Leonty Nikolaevich Benois; painter and theater decorator, author of works on the history of Russian and world painting, founder of the art association "World of Art" Alexander Benois. The nephews of Nikolai Leontyevich Benois: the architect Nikolai Evgenievich Lansere and the sculptor Evgeny Evgenievich Lansere, the artist Zinaida Evgenievna Serebryakova (née Lansere) and others - they all often visited the village of Bobylskaya.  You can learn more about the numerous representatives of the dynasty at the "Museum of the Benois Family", located in the building of the former maid of honor building in the city of Petrodvorets, Alexandria highway, house 8, which is part of the State Museum-Reserve "Peterhof".
  

   In 1920, the dachas of L. N. Benois and A. E. Meisner were destroyed by fire. The land on which they stood was alienated to the state, and Leonty Nikolayevich was allowed to keep, as a dacha, the former household yard with buildings, where his descendants still live. All other dachas were nationalized and transferred to the Union of Education Workers as a health resort, later the Teacher's Rest House. The wooden buildings of the dachas underwent completion and redevelopment, which distorted their appearance, and the layout of the territory also changed significantly.


   In 1973, the territory of the Rest House was transferred to the Leningrad State University as a sports base. However, it was practically never used.


   Currently, it is planned to restore, restore summer cottages and use them as a creative base for the Faculty of Arts of St. Petersburg State University. On the territory, which is a valuable natural, historical, cultural and scientific and practical resource, educational and cultural events will be carried out as part of the educational, educational, international and interuniversity activities of the faculty with the support of the State Museum-Reserve "Peterhof". 
 

  Dacha of Mikhail Nikolaevich Benois.

   An architectural monument of the late 19th century.

   Architect Leonty Nikolaevich Benois, 1892.
 

 

   Until 1917, this building was part of the dacha settlement of the Bobylskaya village, where representatives of the artistic and business intelligentsia of St. Petersburg built dachas for themselves. The place was landscaped and was a kind of cultural center of summer country life. 

  
   In 1891, according to the project of L. N. Benois, two dachas in the “English taste” were built here, standing “like two sisters” a few meters from the coastline, for the families of Leonty Nikolayevich himself and his son-in-law, Alexander Evaldovich Meisner.


   A year later, he also built the third, preserved today, dacha of Mikhail Nikolaevich Benois, brother of Leonty Nikolaevich, a former naval officer.

  


   The Benois family is the largest artistic dynasty in St. Petersburg. Its most prominent representatives are the chief architect of Peterhof and the Imperial theaters of the second half of the 19th century, professor of architecture Nikolai Leontyevich Benois, the author of such notable buildings in Peterhof as the Main Imperial stables, the maid of honor and Cavalier buildings, the Post Office, the Palace Hospital and the New Peterhof Station. His sons: the famous watercolorist, academician of architecture, Albert Nikolaevich Benois; architect, urban planner, academician and professor of architecture Leonty Nikolaevich Benois; painter and theater decorator, author of works on the history of Russian and world painting, founder of the art association "World of Art" Alexander Benois. The nephews of Nikolai Leontyevich Benois: the architect Nikolai Evgenievich Lansere and the sculptor Evgeny Evgenievich Lansere, the artist Zinaida Evgenievna Serebryakova (née Lansere) and others - they all often visited the village of Bobylskaya.  You can learn more about the numerous representatives of the dynasty at the "Museum of the Benois Family", located in the building of the former maid of honor building in the city of Petrodvorets, Alexandria highway, house 8, which is part of the State Museum-Reserve "Peterhof".
 

  

   In 1920, the dachas of L. N. Benois and A. E. Meisner were destroyed by fire. The land on which they stood was alienated to the state, and Leonty Nikolayevich was allowed to keep, as a dacha, the former household yard with buildings, where his descendants still live. All other dachas were nationalized and transferred to the Union of Education Workers as a health resort, later the Teacher's Rest House. The wooden buildings of the dachas underwent completion and redevelopment, which distorted their appearance, and the layout of the territory also changed significantly.

  


   In 1973, the territory of the Rest House was transferred to the Leningrad State University as a sports base. However, it was practically never used.


   Currently, it is planned to restore, restore summer cottages and use them as a creative base for the Faculty of Arts of St. Petersburg State University. On the territory, which is a valuable natural, historical, cultural and scientific and practical resource, educational and cultural events will be carried out as part of the educational, educational, international and interuniversity activities of the faculty with the support of the State Museum-Reserve "Peterhof".